DISN180 - Hybrid - The Formula Of Fear
About this release
Hybrid recently opened their 2008 account with "Soundsystem 01", a big double CD compilation on Hope Recordings that showcased the full range of the bands' musical palette, with everything from their trademark cinematic strings and slamming breaks to peak time floorfillers and groovy tech. They now take one of the highlights of that comp, their own "Formula of Fear", add a sparkling array of remixes, and prepare to launch it as the opening salvo in their next artist album.
Having collaborated over the years with the likes of Perry Farrell, Peter Hook and Chrissie Hynde, and played festivals from Coachella to Glastonbury and back, few will be surprised that 'Formula of Fear' takes the rockier, live sounding Hybrid and captures it on record in glorious, wide angled technicolour. New singer and band member Charlotte James delivers an emotional, rock tinged vocal, with big live drums and driving bass making this a must for festival heads, breaks freaks and radio programmers alike.
The main remix comes courtesy of the mysterious Grafiti who turn in a deep and chugging 11 minute epic, with the vocal making an appearance half way through to floor slaying effect. Combining the space and groove of a minimal record with a bit of the energy left over from progressive's afterglow, this is a big, modern sounding club mix.
Meanwhile newcome Steam Punk gets wonky with an electro-gonzoid stormer, working the psychotropic groove hard, and taking snippets of Charlotte's vocal to places it was never meant to go, before coming out the other end smelling of (black) roses.
Former US electro-breaks pioneer Uberzone shows he can go 4/4 with the best of them, employing a fat, scuzzy bassline as his main weapon and using most of the vocal whilst still managing to keep it sounding clubby and dubby. Last but not least, Oribitals' Paul Hartnoll dons his guise for a crunchy, breaks driven mix that will appeal to Orbital and Hybrid fans alike.
Released in September, "Formula of Fear" marks an impressive return from one the British dance scene's biggest acts.ional, rock tinged vocal, with big live drums and driving bass making this a must for festival heads, breaks freaks and radio programmers alike.
Written by Mike Truman and Charlotte James
Produced by Hybrid
Vocals and Lyrics by Chalotte James.
Guitar, Piano and Cello by Charlotte James
Bass by Mike Truman
Recorded and mixed at The Ark, Derbyshire.
'Armchair Mix' - Remix and Additional Production by Charlotte James.
Published by Copyright Control
(p) 2008 Distinct'ive Records
(c) 2008 Distinct'ive Records
RELEASE DATE : Oct 06 2008
CD - DISNCD180
- 1. The Formula Of Fear (Original Mix)
- 2. The Formula Of Fear (Hybrid Remix) [Wrong Listing On CD]
- 3. The Formula Of Fear (Uberzone Vocal Mix)
- 4. The Formula Of Fear (Longrange Mix)
- 5. The Formula Of Fear (Instrumental Mix)
- 6. The Formula Of Fear (Armchair Mix)
- 7. The Formula Of Fear (Acapella)
Buy CD £
12" - DISNT180
- A1. The Formula Of Fear (Original Mix)
- A2. The Formula Of Fear (Steam Punk Remix)
- B1. The Formula Of Fear (Grafiti Mix)
Buy 12" £
Download - DISN180
- 1. The Formula Of Fear (Original Mix)
- 2. The Formula Of Fear (Grafiti Mix)
- 3. The Formula Of Fear (Hybrid Remix)
- 4. The Formula Of Fear (Steam Punk Remix)
- 5. The Formula Of Fear (Uberzone Vocal Mix)
- 6. The Formula Of Fear (Uberzone Dub)
- 7. The Formula Of Fear (Longrange Mix)
- 8. The Formula Of Fear (Instrumental Mix)
- 9. The Formula Of Fear (Uberzone Radio Mix)
- 10. The Formula Of Fear (Glenn Morrison Mix)
- 11. The Formula Of Fear (Grafiti Dub Mix)
- 12. The Formula Of Fear (Acapella)
- 13. The Formula Of Fear (Armchair Mix)
- 14. The Formula Of Fear (Armchair Instrumental)
- DISN177 - Finished Symphony RE_MIXED
- DISN176 - Hybrid RE_MIXED EP 1
- DISN175 - Hybrid RE_MIXED
- DISN173 - I Choose Noise Remixes
- DISN172 - I Choose Noise
- DISN123 - I'm Still Awake
- DISN121 - Higher Than A Skyscraper
- DISN114 - Theme From Wide Angle (Remixes)
- DISN111 - True To Form
- DISN103 - Gravastar / Celebrity Science
- DISN100 - Morning Sci-Fi
- DISN089 - Visible Noise / Know Your Enemy
- DISN072 - If I Survive
- DISN067 - Remix + Additional Production
- DISN063 - Wider Angle
- DISN055 - If I Survive
- DISN054 - Wide Angle
- DISN052 - Finished Symphony
- DISN033 - Symphony (Remixes)
- DISN022 - Symphony
- DISN014 - Fall Out Of Love